Dear Valued Customer,
Please be advised, that U.S. Customs (“CBP”) has begun voiding Importer of Record numbers that they deem to be inactive. CBP considers an Importer of Record number that has not been used in over one year and does not have any pending Customs transactions associated with it to be inactive and thus voided. A system update will occur to void these inactive records. Clients that do not import on a regular basis may be particularly susceptible to having their numbers voided and are advised to review their information.
Instructions for reinstating an importer number can be found below. The process will take a minimum of 5 days to resolve and could impact shipments subject to storage. Please allow at least 5 business days to process an application to reinstate a voided importer record.
How do I reactivate an importer record that has been voided by CBP?
- Email a completed CBP 5106 along with a valid importer record proof and Power-of-Attorney that is no more than one year old (if 5106 is signed by an Attorney-in-Fact) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Void IR#”.
- CBP Form 5106 must be signed by an officer of the company or a broker with power-of-attorney (POA).
- Relative to the type of importer record number, the following documents are acceptable proof:
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Employee Identification Number (EIN)
- Note: W-9 applications, SS-4applications, State documents, and any documentation submitted to the IRS are unacceptable.
- S. CBP Assigned Number – There is currently no documentation provided by CBP when issuing a CBP-assigned number. Only a completed CBP 5106 form and POA if signing on behalf of an importer, are required.
- CBP will not contact importers or agents once an account is reactivated. To learn the status of your reactivation, please query CBP systems to validate that the account has been reactivated.
- A CBP representative will contact you if there is an issue regarding the documents you submitted for reactivation.
Additional information about the CBP Form 5106 is also available on cbp.gov (https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-administration/entry-summary/cbp-form-5106). Contact the Surety Bonds & Accounts helpdesk at (317) 614-4880. If you reach the voicemail, a CBP representative will respond within 2 business days.
If you have any questions, you may reach out to your local Masterpiece International representative or email@example.com.